IT has been a week since I announced that I’m going around the world on a SOTM Tour, and already plenty of offers have come in.
I’ve had a good number of kind messages of support from people, and happily a number of you have embraced the idea of the SOTM tour, putting out feelers and making great suggestions on people I could stay with.
A big Thank You to those who have put the word out there so far, it’s very much appreciated. This tour really can’t happen without your help, and every single offer that I get, no matter how small, is making this year-long journey a reality.
So far I’ve had offers of accommodation in places like Paris, Geneva, Cairo, Melbourne, Sydney, Hong Kong and several places in the US. I also have contacts in two Bangladeshi cities – Dhaka and Chittagong. Some of these offers are coming from friends of mine dotted around the globe, and some have been made by friends of those friends, whom I’ve never had any contact with before. (You have to love social media for putting people in touch with one another so easily for an event like this).
I’m delighted that people are willing to get involved and help me on my way. And they’ll be a great starting point for taking SOTM photos in those countries, too.
I’ve also spoken to members of the press in London, Scotland, Dubai and Geneva, who all want to do something on SOTM having heard about the tour. I’m really pleased by this, as I haven’t yet put out a press release or made any widespread approaches to the media – that will come closer to the time.
Overall, then, things are off to a good start.
But I need to keep making plans – I’m in the process of firming up a route for starters. I’m talking to two South African charities about visiting them, which I’m very keen to do, but that will depend on the cost of flights to and from that country. And it looks like I might do a little more of Europe than I originally planned.
Also, I think I might have to rejig the timing of when I pass through South Asia and South East Asia, as I don’t want to hit the rainy season and general bad weather. I’ll continue to work out a schedule based on what the typical weather is in the countries I’m planning to visit.
Here’s a remind of what I’m still looking for:
- Contacts in the countries I’ll be visiting. Would you like to pose for SOTM, round up friends who’ll be photographed, and possibly translate into English where necessary?
- Places to stay. I’ve had some offers already, but will always need more. Do you have a spare room or couch where I could stay for a few days? In return, you’ll receive my eternal thanks, a print of your SOTM photo, and a special mention on the SOTMario blog.
- Contacts in the press anywhere in the world, particularly in those countries that I’ll be visiting. Do you work in the media – online, radio, and TV? Would you be interested in writing about the SOTM journey? I need as much media coverage as possible, to get people’s attention so that they either offer to meet for a photo, or send one in. The SOTM story makes for an eye-catching picture feature, as it already has in the London Metro, Times of Malta, and Boing Boing.
And here’s an updated list of the countries I currently hope to visit, not necessarily in this order:
- France (Paris)
- Germany (Berlin, Munich)
- Holland (Amsterdam)
- Switzerland (Geneva, Zug)
- Austria (Vienna)
- Italy (Emilia-Romagna)
- Egypt (Cairo)
- South Africa (Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, Kliptown)
- UAE (Dubai)
- India (Punjab, McLeod Ganj)
- Bangladesh (Dhaka, Chittagong)
- Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
- Philippines (Manila)
- China (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing)
- South Korea
- Japan (Tokyo)
- Australia (Sydney, Melbourne)
- Canada (Vancouver)
- USA (cross-country tour)